Saturday, October 29, 2011

Flight Log - 2011.10.29

After reading First Time Ganker on EVEOGANDA's excellent blog, I was inspired to do the same. I knew my odds of taking anything out would be next to nothing, and I would lose my ship in the process. But I wasn't looking for a kill, I was looking for experience. At the very least, I'd be able to see how fast Concord showed up, what my UI looked like in GCC, etc.

I started out my flight by bouncing around asteroid belts, to see if there were any smallish mining ops going on. Barges would be out of the question, but though I might get lucky and snag a Bantam or something. No dice. After a while, it dawned on my that it wasn't too efficient, so I decided to switch to my scanners to find me a target. At the very least, I could practice directional scanning.

That was a good move, for the experience of scanning alone. While scanning, I found an Amarr Shuttle on D-Scan. A shuttle! Surely, I'd be able to pop that if I could get close. I bounced around a few systems for a while, not being able to pin-point it exactly, but I knew I was getting closer. But I'd been at it for 5 mins or, so and I started thinking why would a shuttle be stationary for so long? I was hoping it was just someone chit-chatting while in transit, not paying attention to someone stalking them.

I eventually tracked them to a moon, nowhere near anything else. That's when I figured out what was the deal with the shuttle: it was parked at a POS, inside the shields. No shuttle kill for me.

I continued scanning and I found an Ibis. This one was just sitting, alone in space, besides a container. Nobody was inside. I locked it up, and destroyed it. Not very satisfying kill, but at least I got lots of practice with the D-Scan. I've learned how to quickly narrow down the location of a ship, but pin-pointing the exact spot to get them on grid still eludes me. I'll definitely need more practice. One more thing I learned, I do NOT have the firepower to suicide gank. I took me two rounds to drop the Ibis. That's pretty sad.

I scanned the system for another little while, and I found a few more POSes with empty ships around them, but no targets that I'd ever have a chance of ganking. At this point, I figure losing my ship for the sake of losing my ship would be a bad idea, since I was still in my alt corp, so I packed it in.

No kills, but lots of D-Scanning experience. Not exciting, but still a pretty successful outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment