Friday, May 18, 2012

Rich and Social are unrelated

The inspiration for this post was the Greedy Goblin blog. It's a very interesting, thought-provoking blog, and it's one of the few that I read daily. I've learned a lot from that blog, and I use many of the strategies and tactics that were proposed by Gevlon. I have a lot of respect for the research and work that must have gone into his ideas.

Today's post from Gevlon postulates that it's not possible to be rich and social, because "they [the rich] do and force others to do the ultimate suck: working", and working is something that the socials despise. That's because "a social [person] is unable to find any fun in any technical activity, as his definition of fun is "receiving positive feedback from peers (real or imaginary)"".

To me, rich and social have nothing to do with each other. Becoming rich is done through accumulating money, and there are many ways of accumulating money to become rich:
  • you can earn it
  • you can steal it
  • you can win it
  • you can inherit it
  • you can marry into it
Etc, etc. A social person is not excluded from accumulating money through any of these means. In fact, being social would be really helpful in that last point.


I also don't understand where the idea that social people don't like work comes from. If I categorized people I know into two groups, people who like work and people who don't like work, I'm sure there would be a lot of social and asocial people in both groups.


Gevlon often states that morons & slackers (M&S) are going to have a tough time at making money, and that's a statement I agree with. There are no free lunches. To become rich, whether in a game or in RL, you have to have a minimum of intelligence and energy to work at it. But whether or not you're social is irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment